Create a Scene Boom Cards are one of my favorite tools to design because they target multiple skills within one Boom Cards™ Deck! I found my inspiration from the magnet and felt storyboards.
In each Create a Scene or Build a Scene Boom Card Deck, digital images or “stickers” are added on a background. This allows you to create a scene and a story. There really is no limit to the types of scenes that can be created.
These are some strategies that I use while working with my students and clients in person and via teletherapy.
- I have the child describe or label the item they want to place in the build a scene
- I ask them to tell me where they are putting the item or where they want me to place them.
- I incorporate ‘wh’ questions regarding features, function, or class regarding the objects or as you create a scene.
- For articulation, I have the student practice the target word and then give me instructions on where to place the item. This is perfect for carryover practice.
- You can also use these to have your kiddo work on narrative language by creating a “story.”
- “Create a scene” and “build a scene” Boom Cards™ are some of the most versatile tools for speech therapy.
Target Ideas for these Boom Cards™:
- Prepositions – Where are the items? Where do you want to place the item?
- Articulation – Great for creating phrases with target sounds/words.
- Naming & Vocabulary Growth – Have the child name the items in the scene.
- Creating a sentence – Sentences can be made with the item’s name, location, and when describing the build a scene.
- Imaginative play – These scenes are fun to create stories about what is happening or what might happen in the picture.
- Answering Questions – You can use the create a scene to ask the child a variety of sentence types.
- Asking Questions – Have your students ask each other questions about the picture scene
- & more
If you have questions about how to use Boom Cards in person as well as via teletherapy, check out this blog post.
I have created a Create a Scene Boom Cards deck for free. Give it a try, and let me know what you think!